Bank Holiday Tennis Tournament, Tennis Singles League, Matt Proctor Wins Bexley Squash Tournament
Bank Holiday Monday Tennis Tournament
Monday 28th August
- Starts at 1.30
- Open to adult and better junior members
- Cost £8 for adults, £4 for juniors
- American tournament rules
- Refreshments at half time
- Probably finishes at around 5.30
*** We will gauge interest by the number of people signing up in the clubhouse -so please sign up today! ***
Once you have signed up you must turn up or cancel your entry so as not to disrupt numbers or prevent somebody else from entering. Thanks.
Tennis Singles League
Congratulations to all those who took part in another action-packed tennis singles league campaign.
- Daniel Rzasa came out on top for the second league in a row and has become the man to beat.
- Paul Good and Norman O’Neil make a return to the big time finishing winner and runner up respectively in league 2.
- Stanislav Reymer has continued his unbeaten run since joining the leagues, winning division 3 in some style.
- Sam Aldred had an impressive campaign triumphing in division 4
- Gareth Wadley has continued his fine run of form, going unbeaten to win division 5.
- Division 6 was a close fought affair with Tom Goodenough squeezing home
- Division 7 unfortunately all decided to put their feet up for the summer with no action, but will no doubt return to the next campaign with renewed vigour.
As ever to try to keep participation levels high, where people have not played for a couple of leagues I have removed them. If anyone wants to re-join let me know and I’ll get you back in.
We have a couple of new joiners to this round of the leagues. Any questions let me know – email@example.com.
Good luck all
Success for Sundridge Park Squash Star!
Matt ‘PY’ Proctor, roared on by a gallery of devotees (well… mum and dad Proctor) triumphed at the Adult Grade C event held at Bexley last Saturday, 12th August.
With a bye into the Quarter finals, Matt – aka Precocious Yoof – won his match comfortably 3-0 to set up a semi final clash which went all the way to the decider. In an increasingly tense semi final encounter Matt managed to win through with a succession of well executed boasts that just proved too much for his oppo.
Onto the final against the 2nd seed – the standard of play reflected well on the Seeding Committee – as it was soon apparent that Precocious Yoof and his oppo were the two best competitors in this class! With play see-sawing this way and that, the court became, much to the delight of the packed gallery, a showcase for well-coached and executed shots, amazing court coverage by both, but… Matt was finding the going tough and was down 2-1.
Remembering The Club mantra , though, of “When the Going gets Tough…The Tough get Going” and listening to Papa Stewart’s pearls of coaching wisdom, Matt came back to 2-2.
Phew…2-2 onto the Decider…
“Yes…..yes… but who won, Phil?” I hear you ask…Well, the answer is actually in the title of this report. Matt, remembering in time the Club’s 2nd mantra of “Line n Length”, disciplined his shots, kept them tight and narrowly…but deservedly came out tops, in true Sundridge style coming from behind to win 3-2!
Well done Matt – a real star, and well done to Precocious Yoof’s parents for all their support and enthusiasm!
We’re half way through the first round of Bonus Ball and have nine numbers still available to purchase for only £10 each (9, 19, 20, 41, 50, 53, 54, 55, 58) – please sign up and pay at the bar.
Recent winners of £50 are Trish Pole (winner 5th August) and Mark Braden (winner 12th August). Congratulations!
Cancer Research UK – Ladies Tennis Tournament
Tuesday 26th September 2017 At The Old Wilsonians Tennis Club, Hayes
Some of our members have been before and while the level of tennis is not that high, the lunch is very good! Proceeds go to Cancer Research UK.
For more information please see the Tennis noticeboard.